HIGH school to GRAMMAR school

You must remember whatsisname...

Get in touch with your old mates in here

HIGH school to GRAMMAR school

Postby Tom Bancroft » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:32 pm

It was correctly stated that the excellent Manchester Libraries images site (www.images.manchester.gov.uk) lists our school as Chorlton High School. I can pinpoint when it became Chorlton GRAMMAR School because the change coincided with my passing the 11-plus (God knows how!). I entered the fray at Sandy Lane in September 1952 and the school had just been re-named. Indeed, most of the exercise books and library books still bore the 'high school' legend.
Another notable landmark that term was the ditching of rugby as the school's main sport in favour of soccer (much to my delight).
I sent a previous message on this topic putting the date 1957 by mistake - but that was the year I left (Freudian slip).
Interestingly, the school went co-educational in the late 60's(?) and I it was re-named 'Oakwood', but after demolition it merged with Barlow Hall School on the Merseybank estate and reverted to the name Chorlton HIGH School.
A new building was eventually erected and the current Chorlton High School now stands close to Hough End Hall near the junction of Nell Lane and Mauldeth Road West on the site which many of us will remember as open ground called 'The Clough' - it is a designated arts college and has a website at www.chorltonhigh.manchester.sch.uk
Last edited by Tom Bancroft on Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tom Bancroft

Postby tonydav » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:54 pm

Excellent!
Thanks for that Tom.
tonydav
Site Admin

Postby Tom Choularton » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:24 pm

I'm going to have to disagree with this to some extent. The school changed its name to Chorlton High School in 1968 when it went comprehensive and merged with Barlow Hall Secondary Modern. This was well before the old CGS site was closed. In fact the CGS site on Sandy Lane continued as the Upper School for several years. The school now called Chorlton High School was originally called Oakwood High School and was first built in the early 60s
Tom Choularton

High School to Grammar School

Postby Tom Bancroft » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:43 am

Thanks for correcting the dodgy details Tom C. I suppose I was almost there! - Tom B.
Last edited by Tom Bancroft on Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Bancroft

Postby tonydav » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:52 am

Do I hear the sound of Tom-Toms :wink: :?:
tonydav
Site Admin

Postby Tom Bancroft » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:49 am

Talking to a couple of mates about CGS the other day and they seem to think, like me, that the Sandy Lane site was called Oakwood for a while and they remember the name on the board outside the school. Could it be that Oakwood School near Hough End Hall shared the Sandy Lane site for a while before everything (including Barlow Hall) moved there and it became Chorlton High School?
Tom Bancroft

Postby taylorpjuk » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:03 am

I think there is some confusion here; the school on Sandy Lane was originally called Chorlton High School, in the early fifties was changed to Chorlton Grammar School, then about '68 joined with Barlow Hall Secondary Modern to become Chorlton High School again (my last year there was in this "Comprenhensive" environment).
The school next to Hough End Hall was formed by an amalgamation of Didsbury Technical High School and some place I can't recall. This then became the current Chorlton High school.

Cheers,
Pete.
taylorpjuk

School name

Postby rogswim » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:32 pm

I joined Chorlton as a mature student in Jan. 1947 and had a difficult time changing from Rugby to Soccer and never made the school team. I note that in 1952" rugby was thrown out" - when did the change from soccer to rugby happen? I left in 1950 and Soccer was still the Game - Ned Henderson being a star performer. Roger Burrell
rogswim

Postby tonydav » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:43 pm

Bit too early for me, Roger.

Can anyone else help?
tonydav
Site Admin

Postby Tom Bancroft » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:20 pm

It has always been my belief that soccer took over from rugger for the term commencing September, 1952. This was when I began my CGS career. Rugger certainly didn't exist as a school sport from this date.

I'm sure the rugby posts were in position at Nell Lane the previous term (1951-52) and I remember being unhappy that I would not be playing soccer, but my fears were unfounded as only soccer was played during my time at school.

This was also the term that the school changed from CHS to CGS. and my contempories and myself were effectively the first pupils to be taught at Chorlton Grammar School.

I can imagine that the change must have been a blow to the rugger fans, but as a soccer player, it was a relief to me!

Having said this, it appears that Roger played soccer in 1950 - so was there soccer AND rugby at this time or is my memory of those rugby post in 1951 incorrect? (I am getting on you know!!).

Elsewhere on this site are fuller details of the graduation of the school to the comprehensive system before it's eventual re-location and name change.
Last edited by Tom Bancroft on Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:36 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Tom Bancroft

Postby tonydav » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:26 pm

Excellent!

Thanks for that, Tom.
tonydav
Site Admin

rugby

Postby rogswim » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:26 am

Tom, Had I been able to play rugby I would have been over the moon. I cannot remember rugby posts but my memory is even older than yours. Roger B.
rogswim

Chorlton High School

Postby Bryan Bentley » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:42 pm

Here are a few memories from my time at CHS. Every morning we walked from the tram to school at Sandy Lane. We collected shrapnell from the roadside. Some were still warm. Our hope was the school had a direct hit from a bomb. We were very sad when we turned the corner and the OLD COW SHED was still there. We used to obtain calcim carbide and put it down a grid and light the gas to blow the lid off the drain. We also used to go on the clough and fill a large pop bottle with carbide and water. Screw the cap on and throw in to a deep part of the stream. We were very pleased with the resultant explosion. I remember one of the boys bringing a mills granade to school. We practiced on the school field throwing the granade. It had the spring clip to fire the detonator. It was a wonder we did not kill ourselves. This was the cream of the crop of Manchesters brightest. I remember our walking every Wednesday along Nell lane to the playing fields on Princess Parkway. No showers as we were at war. You went home on the bus in our dirt. We caught the bus to Baguley and hoped we could get on the bus full of Whalley Range High School Girls. Our copetition was Willium Hulme boys who boarded the bus at the same stop as the girls. I did not know then our eldest boy would go to William Hulme. Our other contact with girls was on the tram from Chorlton with the girls from Chorlton Central. What a difference today.
Last edited by Bryan Bentley on Wed May 19, 2010 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bryan Bentley

Chorlton High School

Postby Bryan Bentley » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:50 pm

Here are a few memories from my time at CHS. Every morning we walked from the tram to school at Sandy Lane. We collected shrapnell from the roadside. Some were still warm. Our hope was the school had a direct hit from a bomb. We were very sad when we turned the corner and the OLD COW SHED was still there. We used to obtain calcium carbide and put it down a grid and light the gas to blow the lid off the drain. We also used to go on the clough and fill a large pop bottle with carbide and water. Screw the cap on and throw in to a deep part of the stream. We were very pleased with the resultant explosion. I remember one of the boys bringing a mills granade to school. We practiced on the school field throwing the granade. It had the spring clip to fire the detonator. It was a wonder we did not kill ourselves. This was the cream of the crop of Manchesters brightest. I remember our walking every Wednesday along Nell lane to the playing fields on Princess Parkway. No showers as we were at war. You went home on the bus in our dirt. We caught the bus to Baguley and hoped we could get on the bus full of Whalley Range High School Girls. Our competition was William Hulme boys who boarded the bus at the same stop as the girls. I did not know then our eldest boy would go to William Hulme. Our other contact with girls was on the tram from Chorlton with the girls from Chorlton Central. What a difference today.
Bryan Bentley

Postby tonydav » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:00 am

Wonderful memories, Bryan!

Keep 'em coming.
tonydav
Site Admin

Return to Whatever happened to...?