Grammar Schools -A secret history BBC 4 9pm 5th January

Fancy a reunion??

Grammar Schools -A secret history BBC 4 9pm 5th January

Postby john ford » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:18 pm

A documentary re the history of grammar schools in the first half of the 20th Centuary.

Looks interesting - Pick of the day's television viewing per the Times.

Next week the second and final part details the phasing out of grammars.

Cheers John
john ford

Re: Grammar Schools -A secret history BBC 4 9pm 5th January

Postby Merlin » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:40 pm

Watched both ... excellent ... dare I say ..?? even brought a tear to my eye !

Astonished to see a few celebrities came from our neck of the woods............ and even more astonished to see that Manchester Grammar School was stated by the voice over as being the top grammar school in the country ... I will stand to be corrected but I was always led to believe that CGS was second only to Manchester Grammar ... so that must have put us fairly high in the pecking order.

How staggering to see the similarities between CGS and schools shown in the programme in attitudes, dress, staff, aims and success ... hardly surprising I suppose when it was education policy at that time .. but you must agree that in many cases it did allow underpriviliged kids from less wealthy backgrounds ( and I count myself as one ) the opportunity of a wider future. The programe also pointed out the large number of pupils who were academically capable, but financially incapable, of pursuing further education and again I was one, but I do know of more fortunate CGS pupils from my years who went the full distance .....and good luck to them... it was hard work and I have nothing but admiration for them. How many of our equals, elders , betters (??) in this country from various walks of life, proved to be ex grammar school kids from ordinary backgrounds, some of them showing in this very forum.

Today ...????.... and the row simmers on as to whether Grammar School system should come back.

Sorry it's heavy stuff.... but I do believe that our education ( grammar school ) resulted in taking this country into some succesful decades .... so what's gone wrong since ???

Merlin
Merlin

Return to We'll meet again.....POST YOUR 2010 REUNION MESSAGES HERE (& CHECK OUT ALL THE DETAILS)!! <<<