Frank Shell

No longer with us...

Frank Shell

Postby charless » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:15 pm

Hi,

I just wanted to let you know that Frank Shell, who was at CGS between 1964 and 1968, has recently died of cancer.

It seems that most of the people who use the site are a few years older than Frank and would not have known him. However, if anyone does want to contact me I am his brother Charles on chshell2007@gmail.com.

I was also at CGS and a year behind Frank.

regards,

Charles Shell
charless

Postby tonydav » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:44 pm

Charles,

I'm saddened to hear about your brother Frank.

Although I didn't know him personally (I left in 1958), please accept my sympathies.

Tony Davenport
tonydav
Site Admin

Postby charless » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:13 pm

tonydav wrote:Charles,

I'm saddened to hear about your brother Frank.

Although I didn't know him personally (I left in 1958), please accept my sympathies.

Tony Davenport

Thanks Tony,

it's hard to lose a brother, as you know.

anyway, if anyone does need more info they can contact me.

Charles
charless

Postby Mike C » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:45 pm

:( Charles,

I recall sitting next to a lad called "Shell" in the school induction and he was in my class 1Z (Mr Rumsey). Regretably I cannot recall the first name. I think it was 1964 so I guess it would have been your brother. I am saddened by the news.

I have just logged on the site for the first time and have just sent Tony a 1Z form picture to post on the site.

Regards,

Mike Caswell
Mike C

Postby charless » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:35 pm

Hi Mike, yes I think that must have been Frank. I can't find the photo, I've found one with me in it which was dated 1967 - think it was probably 1966 because of the short trousers!
charless

Postby Mike C » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:00 am

Hi Charles,

May have got my years mixed up (memory fading)! I recently found some pictures (now posted on this site) and the one I am thinking of says "1Z Oct 1965" on the back.

The "lad" I am thinking of is sat on the front row far right (short trousers), so perhaps in fact that is you rather than your brother?

Regards,

Mike
Mike C

Postby charless » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:50 pm

Mike,

yes Oct 1965 makes sense - couldn't remember whether the photos were taken at the start or end of the school year - and that is definitely me on the front row at the right. Frank started the year before me and we both left in 1968 when the family moved to Reading.

I can remember most of the faces but not many of the names. Where are you in the photo?

How incredible that we met on the first day like that!

Charles
charless

Postby Mike C » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:12 pm

Charles,

Well my memory isn't that bad after all!

I am middle row fourth from right.

Mike
Mike C

Postby charless » Fri May 15, 2009 7:21 pm

it's interesting but I cannot remember the middle row at all apart from the kid on the far left who was called Mark Bannister I think. I have no recollection of anyone else including the asian boy who I suppose should have stood out simply because of his uniqueness at the time.

Most of the others in the top and bottom rows I recall (but mostly not their names).

Anyway many thanks for the photo and the info.
charless

Postby Urby » Sun May 31, 2009 1:20 pm

Firstly, may I convey my deepest sympathy on the sad loss of your brother. Hopefully, now that a little time has passed, the pain has lessened, but the memory will always live on.
I too was one of Mr Rumsey's 1Z class back in '65 and I remember both you and Mike Caswell. Recently, I came across the old class photo and surprised myself be remembering virtually everybodies name. Unfortunately, I do not have the photo to hand to give you my location on it.
Again, my condolences.
George "Urby" Urbaniak
Urby

Postby charless » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:20 pm

Hi Urby, thanks for the condolences and I do remember you, in fact it's strange that you are one of the first that came to mind when I was thinking of that time. I have an image of you sitting behind me in a classroom with long tables - not the form room I think.

By the way, why was it 1Z - were we really that dim?!
charless

Postby charless » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:14 pm

Also, Urby, it may be that I amongst others was not very kind to you because you had a strange name and a different accent. I can't recall any incident in particular but if this was the case i do apologise without reservation and as an adult view such behaviour with shame.
charless

Re: Frank Shell

Postby Daz(Jed)Heath » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:41 pm

Charles, I am a newcomer to the site. Sorry to hear about your brother.
I too was a new boy in 1965 and was in the same class as you, Mr Rumseys. Fearful scary days in the first year, but the relief came on the sports field and in the playground. Lots of memories from those early days of CGS with Bonzo and Pebble terrifying us all!!
Some of the photos on the site really get the grey matter working and I can place quite a few names to faces. Doesn`t seem to be many of our era that have joined up to this site, The Allsops (france I believe), Ian Hutchison, Phil Roberts, Rupert Leggat, Mark Bannister. Quite a few rogues amongst those names!!
Good to have contact again, best wishes. Darrel (Jed) Heath
Daz(Jed)Heath

Re: Frank Shell

Postby Urby » Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:42 pm

To Charles and Daz.
I have not been on this site for years. I recently discovered and attended a class of '65 reunion, based on upper sixth form but all were welcome. Besides myself, Mike Caswell and Daz "Mooney" Mlynarz being the new interlopers. Alan Haffenden, Pete Struggles, John Watson, Andy Roxborough, Jeff Ball, Trevor Jones and about half a dozen from the other classes.
P.S. I remember you well Daz.
Urby

Return to Gone but not forgotten...