A virtual reunion?

It's free! (There are also several other advantages - click FAQ for details of just some of them).
Hope to see more of you visiting/posting/registering in 2006

A virtual reunion?

Postby tonydav » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:04 pm

Here's an email I've had from OB Geoff Whitelegg - my apologies for the delay in dealing with it:-

... Me again, Tony,

..... Just thinking about the current activity level at CGSOB. I am still in touch with some of my form-mates, Bruce Thwaite, Roy Webster, and Mike Edwards: we have occasional lunches together

I know Roy lives in Davyhulme, Bruce still lives in the Manchester area and I live in Eccles. Mike lives in Colwyn Bay. We are due for a get-together in the coming spring/early summer. We have had two or three lunches together in the last couple of years at an eatery pub in Altrincham, when Mike was coming over to see one of Manchester City's big games. I offered to take Bruce and Roy to Colwyn Bay to meet Mike on his home ground, but as yet nothing is organised.

I did see recently, in one of the holidays advertised in the press, a holiday visiting Konigswinter, which was just 'down the road' from Rhondorf where we stayed at the Bell Vue Hotel, on the German trip in 1958, but it was the one where we stayed near The Drakkensfells. I emailed Bruce and Roy to see if they were interested in having a return visit, but neither of them went on the trip, so weren't interested in going. I have not decided whether to go on my own yet. SWMBO is definitely not wanting to go. (I suppose anywhere doesn't have the same interest for someone who hasn't been before. We went to Jersey two years ago with my sister and my brother-in law. My sister and I had been there twice before and loved every minute of the holiday whilst our spouses, who had never been there were bored to death).

After the brilliant 2010 reunion in Chorlton, and the bit of a flop one at Hale in 2011, are there any plans or murmurings of another reunion? I, beside the above, I can still contact Jeff Berryman who came up from Southampton.

Even if we couldn't actually have a physical get-together, how about an organised "electronic meet" on the website at a formerly organised date and time? (Adjusted to GMT for members living in the far-away places of the world). I have a Rover 75 and am a member of one of the owner's forums, and last autumn, we had an organised forum 'meet', on line, and had nearly 500 owners all on line at the 'appointed hour'. If we could arrange one for the CGSOB, then things could possibly develop into another proper reunion again.

Do you have any ideas? Is the e-meet a possibility? Just wondering.

My very best wishes,

Geoff.

Before I check out the technical aspects of this, I would be interested to know whether there is sufficient interest in such an event.

Comments please(keep them clean :wink: )

Re: A virtual reunion?

Postby Merlin » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:27 pm

Sounds interesting, Antoine .. anything to add interest / re-acquaint people/ keep the Board alive ... why not ??? ... not a clue how it can be done, though... but count me in .. over to you.

Merlin
Merlin

Postby mike latham » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:59 pm

I'm game for any kind of reunion if it fits in with any blanks on my 2014 calendar, and provided it's not too far to drive as being in Blackpool makes it at least 50+ miles travelling , and disabled friendly , when l get there :wink: I would like to meet up again after over 50 years of not seeing any of my old mates from '53/58'
mike latham

Postby tonydav » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:09 pm

John,

I'll wait & see what the general response is before I charge(?) off on a possible wild goose chase (never caught one yet).

Mike,

The clue is in the "Virtual" - if you can make it to your PC keyboard, that will be as far as you need to go.
tonydav
Site Admin

Postby tonydav » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:53 pm

Here's an email I've received from OB Eddie Tyley:-

As a CHS pupil 1927 - 1931, I would have been delighted to participate, but I am sure you will understand when I say that in my 99th year the prospect of the 120-mile journey from Shenington is a bit more than I can contemplate, even though I have a grandson in the Manchester area who would be ready to assist if I thought it practicable.

... so this just gives me the opportunity to wish your project every success, and very best wishes from one who must now rank as one of the few remaining 1927 'fags' on the planet.

Best wishes,

Eddie Tyley

Inspirational!!
tonydav
Site Admin

Postby d keyworth » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:14 pm

Would like to go to a reunion this year, are there any plans in the pipeline to arrange one for this year?
d keyworth

Postby tonydav » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:12 pm

Not that I'm aware of...
tonydav
Site Admin

Postby mike latham » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:37 pm

Thanks for that John l hope you're keeping well too, l reckon l could make one of those types of reunions then , just make sure you don't 'overcharge' or is it a 'bring your own refreshments' ;-)
mike latham

Postby leestd » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:45 am

I am game for a real reunion too but I only visit Manchester in September/October (providing it is not foggy and the plane can land!)
Tony Lees.
leestd

Postby Merlin » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:51 am

Nice thought .... yes .....it's some time since the last ( successful) one in Chorlton 2/3 years back and I was really staggered by how many people actually turned up that night... probably a lot of people have lost interest by now or, perhaps, only follow Board Activity without actually contributing. I'm sure many would again like the opportunity for a good old chin wag and a posy swank ( yes, I double checked and I got that right ! ) ... and although September / October seems, and is, a long way away at the moment, I know that John Ford's efforts for the last reunion took him a lot of time, effort and cost.

I know it's a pain to get out of the bathchair, shave, throw the plaid dressing gown and slippers in the corner, get out the school uniform again and oil the chain on the tandem but..... why not get your Thai bride to drive you to and from the venue ?? .... 'cos ... we ain't getting any younger.

Perhaps we can have a poll / views as to..... a) another reunion ...b) who would organise it.......... c) where and..... d). when .. a date not clashing with holidays, prior arrangements or Community Service Orders / queuing at the Post Office for the Pension ( terrible smell of Moth Balls in that queue, don't you think ? ).

Might be a nice gesture from Tony Lees, seeing he's having difficulty with his Lear Jet navigation weather system and making a UK landing, if he flew us all to Canada for a reunion ...I'd be up for that and would even pay my own way........... but only to to Manchester Airport.

Let's be hearing from you

JCW
Merlin

Postby tonydav » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:56 pm

Any takers?

I'm quite happy to be an innocent bystander, just give me sufficient notice to pencil it in in my busy social calendar - it's all balls, whist drives & fetes these days (but mostly balls).

Smell of moth balls? How do they still manage to fly, carrying all that weight?
tonydav
Site Admin

Postby leestd » Wed May 02, 2018 2:37 pm

Looks like the ball was dropped. Who can pick it up I wonder. A reunion would be a fine thing to do.
actually I will be visiting near Chorlton in October 2018 and would be interested in hearing from any of the 1954 intake crew who would like to meet.
Tony lees
leestd

Postby Merlin » Wed May 02, 2018 4:35 pm

I'm game ( don't shoot ! ) but .... my queries as per my last posting above ..... how many / where / when / organising etc.... answers, please, from the wide circle of ex CGS gentlemen.

Merlin
Merlin

Postby tonydav » Fri May 04, 2018 5:15 pm

See above
tonydav
Site Admin

Postby david cowell » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:58 pm

A virtual reunion would be interesting. It's a long haul from Germany to Chorlton. If the old school was still there, it might be worth the effort to drive across, but without the actual school, a virtual reunion would, in my opinion, be much more interesting. There are numerous problems to overcome. One being that not everyone has a web-cam available. Another is that not everyone has a computer (except the people registered on this board!). I don't know how it actually works, but the Scouts have a virtual jamboree every year in October and connect all round the world, mostly with text.
david (dave - aka 'dk') cowell
Living in Germany since 1976.
sorry about the anti-spam!
dave-dot-cowell-at-gmx-dot-net
david cowell

Next

Return to Why not register?