For all who missed my email about a mobile website version..

It's free! (There are also several other advantages - click FAQ for details of just some of them).
Hope to see more of you visiting/posting/registering in 2006

For all who missed my email about a mobile website version..

Postby tonydav » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:03 pm

Hi,

As smartphones & tablets (not that sort of tablet!)are becoming more widely used, I thought I ought to consider a version of the website that will look ok on their much smaller screens. To convert the site would involve some effort on my part, so I thought I'd point users at a simple solution which already exists &, although some formatting is lost, the results are, to me, quite acceptable - the photos etc will all still be available (& are even zoomable). It works fine on my Android based smartphone & Ipad 3.

Anyway, enough blather, here's all you have to do:-

There's now a much easier way to do it, so ignore the next two lines & read the next post.

1. On your device (mobile or tablet), enter http://www.google.co.uk/gwt/n into the address bar of your browser.
2. Enter cgsob.co.uk in the box which says "Enter URL" & there it is - layout takes a bit of getting used to, but all the links etc work fine.

If there's sufficient interest (why do I doubt that?), there is another possible solution which would know when you are visiting the site via a mobile/tablet & switch automatically, although I haven't tried it yet, as there's some work involved, which I avoid wherever possible.

Any problems, just let me know.

Tony Dav
tonydav
Site Admin

Re: For those of you who missed my email..

Postby tonydav » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:38 pm

10th March 2014 - it's here!

For all those of you who didn't get my email from yesterday, here it is:-

Ok, here's my latest wheeze - no inhaler needed.

To cater for the increasing number of users ( I should be so lucky) visiting the site via smartphones/tablets, I've added a mobile version which may help.

From today, mobile users should automatically see the mobile version, with an option to switch to the desktop version - scroll down to the bottom of whatever page you are viewing to switch.

I've tested it on my Android smartphone, Ipad3 & Asus Transformer Android tablet & it seems to work ok.

I would be interested to know what OBs think of it & would appreciate your feedback.

Any problems, just give me a shout, I'll be in my cave.

And a ps:-

Just when you thought it was safe to come out...

I tried the mobile version on my - relatively - ancient Kindle this a.m. & it works fine, the text is a bit small but the photos are all complete if any of you "Kindlers" out there want to try it.

You can also see what the mobile version looks like on your desktop/laptop by clicking on "Switch to Mobile "Style" at the bottom of each page - Click "Switch to Full Style" at the top of the page to revert.

Ok, I'll get my coat...

tonydav
Site Admin

Re: For those of you who missed my email..

Postby tonydav » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:45 pm

Had a response from OB Roy Bacon - much appreciated.

The mobile version works fine on his Samsung Galaxy S4.

Anyone else tried it yet?
tonydav
Site Admin

Re: For all who missed my email about a mobile website versi

Postby Merlin » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:09 am

Tony :

Tried it on our Hotpoint WMF 850 without luck ... still showing the wife's smalls in the window ... any idea how to get rid of them ... ??? ..... ( stop it !! )

Merlin
Merlin

Postby tonydav » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:36 am

Snip the elastic :wink:

The WFM850 only works with BBC Iplayer...
tonydav
Site Admin

Postby tonydav » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:31 pm

I've just tried out a Google Nexus 7 & a 10 & they both appear to work ok using the mobile style
tonydav
Site Admin

Postby mike latham » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:48 pm

Looking back over the recent months.
Hello Tony, and John, hope you are both keeping well and in high spirits ( and l mean the sort where you keep your feet on the ground) ;-) I have logged in to our glorious website a few times recently, but have found nothing since I actually left messages with Merlin, regarding the lack of responses . I am now thinking that the current trend may be leaning toward the tablet and mobile site, as there has been no one leaving anything at all . I hope the site in it's original form and entirety are not to be closed down, for l for one of the old boys from 53/58 era, am still here, and would be pleasantly relieved to find that I am not alone. :?:
mike latham

Postby Merlin » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:17 pm

Quite right, sailor !!!! .... we should continue sailing through this sea of technological ****ocks in our leaky old fashioned canoes - who's still got Windows 98 ??? - it takes me enough time to understand my Grandson's X box as it is.

Talking about that, last week I showed No 1 Grandson how to play conkers .... Yeah, I know, Cheapskate ... he loved it !!!!!!! He dashed off to school next day, with spares, to play the other kids ... to find that conkers are not allowed on School premises ..... due to Elf N Safety ....... How the **** did we get through all those years at Sandy Lane Emporium of Knowledge ???

Merlin
Merlin

Postby tonydav » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:30 pm

Ok you two (for the uninitiated, I've known J & M since we were all in 1F together )

Mike - both the mobile & the main site are one & the same - the technology is smart enough to know what device you are viewing it on & adjusts the layout accordingly so, as long as the balance sheet says we are in credit:-
*** Click here to see it **** ,

both sites will continue. My poor maths (no thanks, Bud) suggest(s) we have enough for a couple more years yet (unless I shuffle off this mortal coil beforehand, in which case, all bets are off ) then we can reconvene & consider our position (near the exits, in my case)

John - has your search for family members shown any with the surname of LUDD yet? :wink:. Getting through the S.L.E. of K? Lack of choice, I suspect.

Both (& anyone else out there) - the more you post, the more replies you MAY get, so keep 'em coming, you're doing a great job :)
tonydav
Site Admin

Postby tonydav » Fri May 08, 2015 3:40 pm

Any Kindle Paperwhite owners out there? If so, the website also works ok'ishly - using the experimental browser.I've just added this post using one.
tonydav
Site Admin

Return to Why not register?